Healthy Summer DishesSummer is in full swing and that means long days on the beach and long-awaited summer getaways. It also means that you're going to be tempted to indulge in some excellent, summery foods. We're here to tell you that there are some healthy alternatives to hot dogs and ice cream cones and they taste good too! If you don't believe us then try them out and enjoy your summer while keeping your figure. Without further ado here's our list of healthy summertime eats:
1. Fruit salad. This is the ultimate summertime treat and it's totally up to you what you want to add to your rendition of this classic dish. We suggest you go the tropical route and throw in cantaloupe, mangos, pineapples, oranges and anything else you think fits this motif. It's a pretty easy dish to throw together and is sure to please everyone who's lucky enough to dig into the fruit salad.
2. Make your own low-fat coleslaw. If you love coleslaw as a side dish (and who doesn't?) then it's a good idea to make you own. The pre-made stuff at a deli is loaded with fatty mayonnaise and you never know how fresh it is. It's easy to make your own coleslaw at home. Here's a great recipe for making your own!
3. Grilled chicken. We know we're not the first ones to suggest grilled chicken but it has to be reiterated. Grilling chicken in a low-fat marinade is always the perfect dish opposed to greasy hamburgers or hot dogs. Grilled chicken is also perfect right off the grill and can be thrown in a Caesar salad the next couple days after cooking
4. Grilled eggplant. Summertime is a time when you're more apt to step out during lunch and actually go out. The weather is nice and you're looking to be out of the office as much as possible. Stopping at a deli is a popular choice and instead of ordering a cold cut which is loaded with preservatives go for the grilled eggplant. This is usually served cold but is delicious with a light mozzarella and a Mediterranean relish. Go for a sandwich on wheat or multi-grain bread to keep this a great, healthy meal.
5. Vegetable and beef kebabs. This is a great way to introduce some healthy carbohydrates into your diet. These are a lighter alternative than grilling up a fat, juicy steak. For more information on how to construct this delicious treat check out this great recipe idea.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR